New Zealand is one of the most breathtaking places I have ever had a chance to visit. Here is a collection of everything you need to know to travel gluten free in New Zealand.
Want the tl;dr version? Here it is:
- Plan your two week trip to New Zealand with this crazy detailed two week New Zealand South Island Itinerary.
- Find the best gluten free groceries in New Zealand with my guide to the best gluten free finds in NZ’s Grocery Stores.
- Use my detailed gluten free city guides for Queenstown and Wanaka to find completely safe gluten free food on the South Island.
Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post, like hotel links, are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, we make a little bit of money if you click through and book. That being said, we would never recommend something to you that we don’t stand behind 100%.
Planning a Trip to New Zealand? Start Here
Here are the resources I used to plan my trip to New Zealand in 2019.
I used the posts below to figure out what to do (and what not to do), where to stay, and how long to spend in each place.
I compiled all that information into a giant spreadsheet (yep, I’m THAT kind of travel planner). Armed with all that information, we went and had an amazing trip.
Then, I got home and using a combination of that research and my experience on the trip, I wrote a crazy detailed guide to spending 2 epic weeks on the South Island of New Zealand.
Travel Guides from Other Travel Bloggers
- I used a bunch of In A Faraway Land’s New Zealand tips for everything from photography spots, hikes, and general FAQ’s.
- Any list of travel guides would be incomplete without Nomadic Matt’s travel guide to New Zealand.
- This comprehensive guide to New Zealand from Thrifty Nomads is a great overview.
- Check out this New Zealand Guide from Off the Path for the basics, then buy their comprehensive version if you’re interested in more.
- Here’s a guide to Backpacking New Zealand from Gap Year.
Finding Cheap Flights to New Zealand
Here’s a fantastic guide to finding cheap flights to anywhere from Scott’s Cheap Flights.
Again, if you are planning to travel internationally in the next year or so, the premium subscription to Scott’s Cheap Flights is a MUST. Here’s why.
I booked our trip to New Zealand because I got an email from Scott’s Cheap Flights for a flight deal to New Zealand on Qantas for ~$700 RT that lasted for 48 hours. Normal price of our tickets was ~$1,600. I saved $900 for a cost of $40. I would have never seen that sale without Scott’s Cheap Flights.
My New Zealand Trip Recap
Wondering what a gluten free trip to New Zealand costs? What the must-see places are on the South Island?
This trip recap and guide is for you.
My favorite gluten free groceries I found in New Zealand.
The Best Gluten Free New Zealand Restaurants
Other New Zealand Posts You Might Like
- The Perfect Way to Spend 3 Days in Queenstown, New ZealandI wasn’t sure how I was going to like Queenstown. I’m admittedly not much of a fan of heights, and haven’t quite talked myself into the things that Queenstown is really famous for – like bungy jumping or skydiving. But after spending 3 days in Queenstown, I realized that there’s a lot to do…
- How to Plan an Amazing New Zealand South Island Road TripI have never been to a place with as many diverse landscapes packed into a single place as the south island of New Zealand. And I live in California. From the rolling hills of Marlborough’s wine country, to the rocky peaks of Mount Cook and Mt. Aspiring, to the breathtaking beauty of Milford Sound,…
- Gluten Free Queenstown, NZ: A Complete GuideThe South Island of New Zealand, with the exception of Queenstown and Wanaka, was not the most Celiac-friendly place I’ve ever been, particularly in terms of finding gluten free restaurants. I ended up cooking for myself for 90% of the three week trip, and luckily New Zealand makes gluten free grocery shopping a breeze….
- The Best Gluten Free Foods in NZ Grocery Stores: My PicksIf you have celiac disease and are interested in a trip to New Zealand, but are worried about finding gluten free foods in NZ- don’t be. I have celiac disease and recently spent three weeks road-tripping around the South Island. I found plenty of great gluten free products at NZ grocery stores like New…
- Gluten Free Wanaka: The Complete Travel Guide for CeliacsWanaka was our favorite city on the South Island (though we didn’t make it to Dunedin, which I’ve heard great things about) because it felt like Boulder with its great outdoor scene mixed with a similarly fantastic gluten free food and drink scene. After the trip, I was talking about which city I would…